Best Toddler Travel Beds for Toddler
Are you taking your little one on a trip away from home? The best travel bed for toddler is your top choice as your little one can have a comfortable nap, while you can have some quality time.
Travelling with a baby is a bit challenging, as they might feel a little uncomfortable if they’re in an unfamiliar area. A portable kid bed provides a safe and comfortable space, where your little one can relax.
As a result, you will be able to sleep comfortably, have fun with your friends, or simply enjoy the views when you’re not home. In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about the best travel beds for toddlers, so you can pick the right one for your baby.
What is a Toddler Travel Bed?
A toddler travel bed or a portable kid bed is specially made for travel purposes. It’s lightweight and easy to transport but provides a safe space for your little one to sleep and relax after a long day.
There are several types of toddler travel beds, so you can choose a toddler fold-out bed or a toddler sleep cot, depending on the needs and age of your baby. Kids overnight beds are available in different sizes and materials, so you can easily find the right one.
What Do Toddlers Sleep in When Travelling?
It’s quite normal for your little one to feel a bit uncomfortable when they’re away from home. If they don’t have a suitable bed to sleep on, they can become extremely sad, and this will definitely affect the quality of your vacation.
Sleeping with your little one in the same bed isn’t always the best option, especially if you’re sleeping with a partner. You want to make sure that your little one has a safe and private space where he or she can stretch and sleep comfortably through the night.
You will need a portable travel bed for your toddler in the following situations.
- If you’re not used to co-sleeping, sleeping with your little one in the same bed can be extremely challenging for both of you.
- If you don’t want to spend extra money on large family rooms. The travel bed will provide your little one with a comfortable spot, without any additional charges.
- If you’re worried about your little one’s health or skin. In some cases, the hotel or the vacation facility might provide you with an extra bed for your little one. However, it might be close to the window or the AC. A portable travel bed is a better option, as you can set it up anywhere you like.
What Age is a Toddler Bed For?
The transition from the crib to a toddler bed depends on your baby. Some babies will be ready by the time they are 18 months old. Others might wait until they’re 2 or even 3 years old.
It’s quite normal to feel that your little one isn’t ready yet, as some kids might be a little too stressed or anxious. Others might be overly active and will need to leave the crib a little sooner. Here are a few signs that your baby is ready to leave the crib and move to a toddler bed.
- If your little one no longer fits the crib, then it’s time to move. If your baby can easily touch both ends with their feet and head, the crib might no longer be comfortable.
- Your little one keeps on climbing out of bed. Even if you keep the mattress in the lowest position, the crib might be a safety hazard if your little one keeps on trying to escape.
- If you’ve already started potty training, then it’s probably time to say goodbye to the crib. With potty training, you want to train your little one to hurry quickly to the bathroom when they need to. The toddler bed might be a better option.
- If you have another baby on the way, then it’s time to move your little one to a toddler bed to make room for the new bundle of joy. However, you shouldn’t attempt to do this if your baby is younger than 18 months, as this might be too stressful for the child.
How Long Can a Child Use a Toddler Bed?
In most cases, the manufacturer will suggest that a toddler can sleep in a toddler bed from the age of 2 to 5. However, in some cases, your little one can use the bed for a little longer.
If your child is overly active, you might need to think of a special model, to keep the baby safe. Luckily, there are lots of options available, so you can find the most suitable one for your little one.
Can a 2-Year Old Sleep in a Bed?
Your 2-year old can either sleep with you or in a separate bed. The best time to move to a toddler bed is after 18 months.
Some children might be ready after a while, and this doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong with your baby. If your little one still enjoys the crib after they’re 2, you can wait until they’re ready.
Co-sleeping is a controversial topic, as some parents and paediatricians are totally against it, while others think that it’s an excellent decision. Both parties have their reasons, so you need to think about them before deciding on the way you will arrange your baby’s sleeping setup.
Here are the pros of co-sleeping with your little one in the same bed.
- If you’re still breastfeeding, this sleeping arrangement will be the most convenient one because you can easily arrange night feeds without having to get up at night. This will also give you more sleep at night.
- You will be able to respond quickly whenever your little one needs you.
- Sleeping with your little one improves your bond together and involves a lot of intimacy as your child can feel your gentle touch throughout the night.
However, some experts are against co-sleeping.
- While it might not be the reason, the risk of sudden infant death syndrome or SIDS decreases when your little one is sleeping in a crib or a toddler bed on their own.
- Your kid might not be able to sleep later on until there’s a parent in the bed. While this might not be a problem when you have a toddler, it becomes more uncomfortable when your child grows older, especially if you have more than one kid in the family.
- Your little one’s bedtime might not be the right one for you. You might have to go to bed earlier than you need to because your little one is too anxious.
- Your sleep quality might get affected. If your little one wakes up several times at night, you might not be able to get back to sleep, which eventually affects your activity level when you wake up in the morning.
- In some cases, one of the parents, usually the father, will end up sleeping in another room. This can put so much strain on the relationship between the couple and might cause a lot of issues.
What Should You Look for In an Ideal Travel Bed for Toddlers?
Choosing a compact toddler bed is an important decision because it can have a big effect on your vacation time. Here are some factors to think about before choosing a travel bed for your little one.
Size and Weight
The portability of the travel bed is an essential factor to consider when you’re planning on travelling with toddlers on long haul flights. When there are weight restrictions or if you will have to carry the suitcase for a long-distance, you need to make sure that you’ve picked a portable and suitable option.
These different options are suitable for various ages and purposes, so you can easily pick the right one for your little one.
This bed needs a little bit of air and will be ready for use. It’s an excellent choice for international travel with your toddler because you can deflate it and tuck it away in your suitcase without much effort. It usually has raised sides or edges that can keep your little one inside.
One of the disadvantages of these models is that they might not be very comfortable, so it’s a good idea to let your baby test it at home first. If the bed gets punctured, it will be useless, so you need to be careful while setting it up. We recommend that you get a bed sheet from home because the plastic might be smelly.
A foldable bed works well when you don’t have much room in your vacation destination. It can be set up easily and folded when your little one doesn’t need to sleep, just like stadium chairs.
This bed can also be used when you’re camping with your little one or spending some time on the beach because the legs are raised so the bed won’t touch the ground. Some of these foldable beds come with built-in pillows, so you won’t have to pack a pillow to help your baby sleep comfortably.
Ease of Use
You need a bed that is easy to set up and put away when it’s no longer needed. When it’s already bedtime, you need an easy to use travel bed that you can set up fast when everyone is tired.
If your room is too small, you might need to put it away in the morning, so you can have more space. Even if you can keep it in the same place, you need an effortless travel bed that you can put away when it’s time to pack.
Travel beds are designed for various age groups. Most toddler beds are designed to suit kids starting from the age of 2 years. Some can last until your little one is 5 or even older. If your baby is younger than 2 years, you might need to consider a special travel bed for toddler still in crib.
Comfort is a matter of personal choice. Luckily there are several comfortable types that you can choose from if you’re travelling with your little one.
A folding bed for toddlers is extremely comfortable as it gives your little one the needed support. Inflatable cribs for toddler are also comfortable, although the mattress might sag after a few days.
What Is The Best Travel Bed for Toddlers?
In this section, we’ll suggest the best travel beds for toddlers, so you can analyse their features to choose the most appropriate one.
Best Folding Toddler Bed
los Regalo My Cot Deluxe is an excellent fold out toddler bed thanks to the fold and go system. It comes with a removable sleeping bag and pillow, guaranteeing your child’s safety and comfort in any condition. It fits conveniently in your suitcase.
This bed will support your little one up to the weight of 75 pounds or 34 Kg thanks to the sturdy steel frame. It provides enough space as the bed measures 120 cm in length and 61 cm in width, allowing your little to roll comfortably at night. It comes with a carry case for convenient storage and transportation.
It’s an ideal choice for toddlers between the age of 2 and 5, but an older child can still use it safely. However, the sleeping bag is rather flimsy.
Best Travel Bed for Toddler Still in Crib
los Red Kite Black Sleep Tight Travel Cot is easy to assemble, so it’s an excellent choice for busy parents. The top rails are fully padded, and the raised sides guarantee the safety of your little one when you’re away from home. It comes with a carry bag for easy transportation.
It doesn’t come with a mattress, so you need to buy a separate one if your baby needs more cushioning. The cot can be used for playing as well as nap time, and you can keep an eye on your little one.
Best Travel Bed for 1-Year Old
los Milliard Portable Toddler Bumper Bed is an excellent choice for travellers because it folds conveniently. You can even use the bed to pack some things inside when you’re on a plane. The bed features soft bumpers that keep your little one safe inside the bed. It measures 140 cm in length and 66 cm in width, so it can work for your little from the age of 1 to 6 years old.
Featuring a soft velour interior, the bed creates the most comfortable sleep environment for your little one. Combined with the durable outer material, the bed will last for long. The waterproof mattress cover is machine-washable, and it comes with an extra fitted sheet. Nevertheless, it can feel quite bulky compared to other models.
Best Collapsible Toddler Bed
los Koo-di Sun and Sleep Pop Up Travel Bubble Cot is an ideal collapsible travel cot. It’s an ideal choice for your baby up to 18 months old. When your little one is older, it can be transformed into a playhouse. It’s quick and easy to use.
You can use this toddler cot in the garden or the beach as it comes with an integrated zip-out blackout that blocks almost 93% of the harmful rays. The cot comes with a mosquito net and a padded mattress.
Thanks to the carry case, you’ll be able to transport it anywhere. Your little one might struggle to sleep as the mesh will let some light in.
Best Toddler Sleep Cot
los Deryan travel cot will suit your baby from birth until he or she is 2 years old. It sets up in 2 seconds and can be used inside and outside the house. The cot comes with a sleeping mat, an inflatable mattress, and a carry case.
This is the most convenient alternative to a camping bed as it can be used in any outdoor setting. The cot blocks almost the UV rays to guarantee your baby’s comfort. It’s rather flimsy so will not suit an overly active or older child.
Best Inflatable Cribs for Toddlers
los hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Travel Bed with Safety Bumpers comes with a pump for fast setup. It’s lightweight, portable and can be set up anywhere. It weighs 8 pounds, so it won’t be a burden when you’re packing for your vacation.
Made of inlay-enforced™ vinyl, the material is 40% thicker than other options on the market. It’s puncture-resistant and comes with welded seams and a heavy-duty air valve that prevents leakage.
It inflates in less than 30 seconds. Just like other inflatable mattresses, the mattress might accidentally deflate in the middle of the night, and you’ll have to inflate it one more time.
Best Toddler Travel Bed for Plane
los Hauck Dream’n Play is suitable for your little one from birth until he or she reaches a maximum weight of 15 Kg. It’s quite easy to set up and fold when you’re travelling or when your little one is spending time with their grandparents.
Thanks to the mesh window, you can watch your little one playing or sleeping, and your baby will be able to see you all the time. The bed is very lightweight and comes with a mattress and a carry bag. You might need an additional mattress because the material is quite thin and also produces a sound when your baby moves.
Summer Infant Travel Bed
los StillCool Ultralight Weight Baby Beach Tent is excellent for hot summer days. It can be used on the beach or while camping as it allows for better airflow to keep your little one cool.
It’s made of breathable 190T nylon fabric. The material is wear-resistant and anti-mosquito to keep your little one comfortable at night.
Thanks to the 50+ UPF UV protection, the cot will absorb up to 99% of the harmful sun rays. The bed is easy to set up and clean after use. It comes with 2 pegs that secure it to the ground. It folds in seconds, but it’s only suitable for smaller children as its length is only 43 cm and the width is 33 cm.
Toddler Travel Crib
los Graco Contour Bassinet Travel Cot is suitable for your child from birth until he or she is 3 years old. Thanks to its raised design, this crib is an excellent choice for newborns and younger toddlers. The crib folds conveniently, so you can use it away from home.
It comes with sturdy wheels for easy manoeuvrability and arrives with a travel bag. The mattress is rather thin, so you might need to add another one for more comfort.
FAQs About Toddler Travel Beds
Here are some of the most common questions.
Is It Safe for a Toddler to Sleep on an Air Mattress?
It’s not safe for an infant or a toddler younger than 15 months old to sleep on an air mattress or other soft surfaces. These are designed for adult use and won’t be healthy for your little one.
Can a 2-Year Old Sleep on an Air Mattress?
A 2-year old can safely sleep on an air or inflatable mattress. There are other sleep options available if this is not what you’re looking for.
Does a 2-Year Old Need a Car Seat to Fly?
This might help your little one relax while on the plane. It’s also a safer option, and we recommended that you check the rules with your airline before travelling.
How Do You Travel With a 3-Year Old?
Explain to your child what will happen, so they don’t get too anxious. During the take-off time, you can start an interesting conversation for distraction. Kids can get too stressed, so you might want to write some notes for your fellow passengers.
What are the Best Toddler Travel Tips?
- Either book a direct flight or one with a longer layover. Running around the airport with a toddler is extremely challenging.
- Buy a separate plane seat for your little one, even if children under the age of 2 can fly for free. This is safer and will give you and your baby more room to relax. In most cases, you can pay a discounted price.
- Visit the airport restroom before your flight.
- Be prepared with wipes to clean everything that might get in touch with your little one.
- Don’t give your little one a routine vaccination right before your flight.
- Pack two extra outfits if you’re travelling with toddlers on long haul flights, so you can be ready for all surprises.
- Always have a botiquín de primeros auxilios de viaje ready. A travellers medical kit is specifically designed for kids and will help you guarantee their safety in case of an emergency. =
- Prepare a bunch of healthy snacks.
- Make sure that you’ve packed a pacifier to keep your infant more comfortable during take-offs.
- Get ready to walk a little in case your little one gets too stressed while on the plane.
Best Travel Beds for Tots: Final Remarks
Travelling with your toddler is a chance for both of you to bond, explore the world, and make beautiful lifetime memories. The best travel bed for toddler provides a safe and convenient space for your little one to sleep away from home. Don’t forget to be prepared with a mini first aid kit ready!
We’ve included lots of types and options that you can consider before your upcoming trip. Bon voyage!